[iBook] Apple Announces Intel MacBook Pro

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jan 10 21:16:36 PST 2006

I think it's different because I now think Apple made somewhat false claims
about their hardware over the last two years.

"in another year or two"
Of course hardware always becomes obsolete, but I don't think that's relevant
here. I'm talking about advertising claims that Apple made very recently, even
in 'computer years'.

Apple was in a difficult position - they'd backed the wrong horse as far as
processors were concerned. The clock speed on the G4 and the G5 just didn't
scale up as much as it needed to to compete with Intel and AMD's offerings. If
Apple admitted this, they would have lost custom, and share value - potentially
making the transition to Intel more difficult and leaving the company in a
weaker position.

However, I believe very strongly in truth in advertising, and I think Apple bent
the truth somewhat in its claims of the relative power of its products - and I
see no reason why they won't do that again. Hence, I'll take these new
performance claims with a grain of salt. Having said that, I don't doubt that
they are _substantially_ more powerful than the previous models.

I think they make great hardware and software. I just think they should be a bit
more realistic/honest about what it can do. Anyway, this will all become more
transperant as they shift to Intel, and people dual-boot their Mac with Windoze
(heresy, I know), allowing more accurate comparisons.

-Gus