[iBook] Re: Apple Announces Intel MacBook Pro

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Wed Jan 11 21:17:22 PST 2006

You might be right about dual booting, but I'm fairly certain one could do
something better than that.

There's an open source program called QEMU that emulates an x86 (PC) processor,
so that one can install Windows on Mac (PowerPC). It's a bit like virtual PC,
and it takes a big performance hit because it has to emulate the processor.

The same program exists for Linux, but because it is running natively on the
'correct' processor, it doesn't take this performance hit. My understanding is
that QEMU in this case can run at greater than 75% of system speed (contrast
with VirtualPC on Mac which runs at about 25% system speed) *. With Mac now
using these chips too, I think it should be possible for us to have access to
such a system, if we want it.

Of course, then you have to put up with Windows... :-)

-Gus

* these numbers are almost entirely made-up. But, it's *heaps* faster to run
QEMU on x86 Linux then PPC Mac...