[iBook] Re: iBook Digest, Vol 23, Issue 1

Will Phelps willphelps at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 13:50:57 PDT 2006

Hello, this is my first post to the iBook digest. I have an old iBook
g3 500 (12"). I am replacing the LCD, I am almost through with that.
I would like to experiment with the old iBook. Can anyone recommend a
good bluetooth usb dongle that is relatively small? I have taken out
the modem inside the old 12" so that there will be enough space
inside to fit the usb dongle. and solder it to the motherboard. I
also planed to put a used reed switch from an iBook display somewhere
so that a magnet will turn off the usb device. I have yet to think
that through. Any ideas are welcome.  People have done this before,
but not on a 12 inch iBook and not with a switch to save battery
power.  So any recommendations on brands and model numbers, or ideas
for the switch?

Also, I am using a lucent silver card to act as the AirPort card.
Someone has done that also. (http://tanais.livejournal.com/
270720.html) Exactly as he has done except I plan to solder the
antenna wire directly onto the card so that the keyboard bulge is not
so large. It is hardly noticeable anyway.

I planned to get rid of the old iBook but, I'll just experiment with
it. Any other mods anyone would like me to test?

thanks in advance
~Will