[iBook] Thoughts on wireless networking

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Sun Mar 5 15:32:36 PST 2006

G'day,

my guess is as follows (without knowing the details of your hardware)

Note - you need to be careful with the numbers.
8Mbit/sec = 1Mbyte/sec = 1MB/sec
(From the numbers and the detail you've provided, I think your units are
mbit/sec)

There are two main bottlenecks on the speed of your internet connection. The
first is at your connection to your ISP. This is around 6mbit/sec. Then you
have a wireless bottleneck. That's limiting the speec further on the other
machines. 802.11b has a theoretical maximum speed of 11mbit/sec. In practice,
4-5 mbit/sec is common, and varies a little with signal strength, the card, and
the computer, which I think explains the variation between your other
computers.

I've never shared files on a Mac (only in Linux), but I'd think it would be as
simple as going in to System Prefs, and enabling Personal File Sharing. Then
look on the network (from the other systems) for computers with shared drives
(of course, you'll need to go into Get Info for the folders you want to share,
and configure the preferences appropriately), and look at them. You might need
to enter your password...

HTH,
-Gus