[iBook] Troubled iBook

Kenny Feder harpofeder at comcast.net
Tue May 30 10:47:49 PDT 2006

My son's G4 iBook is behaving very strangely and I'm trying to figure out if
it's more likely a hardware or a software problem. When he shuts the lid of
his laptop it goes to sleep but when he opens the lid up, it only sometimes
wakes up. Sometimes it refuses to wake up, other times it has turned itself
off (and it's certainly not configured to do that). In any event, when he
attempts to reboot, he will commonly get the dreaded folder with a question
mark and the machine simply can't find the OS (10.4) and won't start up. He
attempts to reboot, the same result. By the fourth or fifth reboot, it
actually works and he's good to go; nothing odd once he's up and running.
But if he closes the lid, it's a crap shoot; it may wake up from sleep, it
may refuse to wake up, or it may simply have turned itself off and the drama
of attempting to reboot commences.

Any suggestions anyone on the list can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ken