[iBook] Troubled iBook

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Wed May 31 19:26:12 PDT 2006

Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

> Larry, dumb question: Since I'm the only user but have a separate
> ID ("Fred Stevens") under Mac HD -> Users -> Fred Stevens (as
> opposed to "Users -> Shared", how would I boot to single user mode
> (as opposed to Shared [or "Computer]?).

Single user mode is actually like "safe mode" on a Dozebox -- it's a
command-line  startup mode for debugging and repair purposes. To
enter it, reboot and hold down Cmd-S until you see text scrolling
down a black background. It leaves your boot drive mounted read-only,
so you can safely run fsck to (we hope) fix the drive. You can also
use a magic command "mount -w /" to allow writing to the drive --
that allows you to, say, delete hosed preference files that are
messing up the boot process....

> ... my second installation last month forced me to do the same
> thing, so I still have separate libraries, fonts, and several other
> things for Computer and User Fred Stevens.

You can copy stuff over from the old user -- you might have to log in
as that user (Fast Switching is nice for this), copy things to
Shared, then move them to the right place afterwards. Once you're
sure you have everything, you can delete the old user directories.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"