[iBook] Off topic? Audio and OCR help wanted

gooddog at interlync.com gooddog at interlync.com
Sun Nov 12 12:50:29 PST 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 1:46 PM, Brian Olesky wrote:

> On 11/12/06 10:18 AM, "gooddog at interlync.com"
> <gooddog at interlync.com> wrote:
>
> > So the question is, to you all with much more experience than
> myself,
> > what do you think? Is there a way he can do his recipe project on a
> > Mac? If so, what program/programs would he use? I assumed it
> would be
> > Adobe Acrobat Pro which has a built in OCR component.
>
> You can simply scan the recipes, and then use the Mac's built in .pdf
> reader, Preview, to select and extract whatever text you want from
> the scans
> and import it into any other program you like, such as Word, and
> then work
> with it any way you choose. No extra tools, or expense required. It
> works
> extremely well (at least the way I use it).
Thanks, Brian. Does the Mac OS have a built in OCR capability, to
render a scan searchable? He wants to build a database (again, I'm
not sure if this is possible) of these recipes, all searchable. Are
we talking about FileMaker Pro or something else or something built
into the Mac? With Spotlight, this function is kind of there, no?

Thanks,

mark