[iBook] Off topic? Audio and OCR help wanted

Anne Cartwright cartwrig at aye.net
Sun Nov 12 14:47:28 PST 2006

joe wrote:

>>> Thanks, Brian. Does the Mac OS have a built in OCR capability, to
>>> render a scan searchable? He wants to build a database (again, I'm
>>> not sure if this is possible) of these recipes, all searchable. Are
>>> we talking about FileMaker Pro or something else or something built
>>> into the Mac? With Spotlight, this function is kind of there, no?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mark
>>>
>> Not sure about that. All I ever do in the area you're discussing is scan
>> documents and select sections for inputting their text into my Word
>> docs. I
>> don't even use database softwear.
> Sounds like Brian is using some kind of OCR that's part of his scanner
> software.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing in Preview that could take
> text out of a PDF if said text is just an embedded image.  Mark is
> right--you need some OCR software somewhere to make the scanned
> recipes into text.  It sounds like the recipe project won't be
> something you can fully automate--I'm guessing the recipes aren't in a
> standard format, so you'll have do some copy and pasting of text into
> whatever db you set up.  (Filemaker would work fine for that--or a
> dedicated recipe program.  Or you could probably find a nice recipe
> template for Filemaker.)
>
> Joe
I use the OCR software from Readiris with my Epson scanner and while it
takes some final polishing of the output, it works well for me in many
different situations. I scan books, newspapers, scraps of printed text,
even instructions from the inside of game boxes. Often I am scanning
material that is in a foreign language; I just tell Readiris what
language to expect. Sometimes I copy the results right from the scan and
paste it into a translator on the Internet to find how the game is
played. Suggest you have your friend look into Readiris.
http://www.irislink.com

Anne