[iBook] Off topic? Audio and OCR help wanted

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 12 16:07:05 PST 2006

On 11/12/06 3:45 PM, "Angus Wallace" <angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au> wrote:

> Joe is correct. Text can be present in a pdf either as text, or as an image
> (imaging taking a photo of a page, and putting a jpg of that in a pdf). In the
> case that the text is stored as an image, you cannot use the text tool to
> select and copy the text. You will need to use OCR.

To try and get a better handle on this, I looked at a few .pdfs I have
stored, particularly one I worked with just last week--a brochure a client
sent me, which I extracted a page of copy from and put into something else
I'm writing for them. Last week, I simply went into the .pdf of their old
brochure, highlighted the text as Preview recommends, imported it into my
Word doc and edited it as needed. However, in going back just now, it
suddenly doesn't work at all! I tried highlighting and copying the exact
same page I did last week, and the text tool no longer works-it won't
highlight anything. This is weird. In going from helper to helpee, anybody
know why my text tool suddenly doesn't work on the exact same section of the
exact same pdf it worked on just last week? (And since I just sent the Help
file copy to the list, I think I'm doing everything right.)

Brian (who's now worried that I jinxed myself giving up this info)