[iBook] Replacing an iBook G3 HDD

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Sun Nov 12 16:17:52 PST 2006

At 3:10 PM -0800 11/12/06, Karl Miller wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>I have run out of space on my 10GB HD (go figure) and I have the
>inclination to replace it with a 2.5" Travelstar HDD that I have,
>but all of the instructions on line I have seen say the task is
>difficult, if not simply time and patience-consuming.  So, is it
>reasonable to expect to be able to replace the HDD myself, or if
>not, can someone point me to a place online that will do it?

It depends on your level of expertise.  It is difficult.  I've done
it to 3 1/2 iBooks now (waiting for replacement drive to make it 4).
There are about 56 screws to be taken out (and hopefully put back).
Many of the screws are very tight, requiring pliers or a lot of
gouging of the screw to remove.  There are a number of tiny
electrical connectors to disconnect and doing it wrong can wreck them

If you are going to do it, go to <http://www.ifixit.com/> and
download the PDF take apart instructions, then print them out.  When
you disassemble it, put all the pieces in a box except for the
screws.  Tape the screws to the printout right where they are in the
pictures.  I didn't do this the first time and ended up with one
extra screw (and considered myself lucky that it was only one).  The
two times after that I was able to reassemble them without a problem.

Whether you can do it, well, only you know what you're capable of.

If you're standard method for repairing things involves a hammer, don't do it.

If you're the sort that dissects frogs then puts them back together
and they work, go for it.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA