[iBook] OT: MacBook (not iBook) speaker problems?

Jack baron58 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 14 15:51:57 PST 2006

Michael Elliott wrote:
> I've been a silent reader of this list for a while, back when it was
> the "P1" list :-)  But are there any of the new MacBook readers on here?
>
> I seem to recall that the original MacBooks were known to have very
> poor speaker volume.  I'm looking to upgrade to the new MacBooks with
> the Core 2 Duo processor, but I do a lot of iChat
> videoconferencing...and was wondering how the speakers are.
> (Realizing that the MacBook IS a notebook, not a full-size desktop
> computer, but still wondering if the MacBook's speakers were still
> comparatively bad).

My first MacBook (CoreDuo) had the uncommanded shutdown problem, and
very low speaker volume. After replacement of some major components, the
volume problem remained and so did the shutdown problem -- to the extent
that it shut down two days after return from the Apple repair facility
and never worked again.

Apple gave me a new MacBook CoreDuo and it has had no problems, but the
speaker volume is not what I would like, though slightly better than the
first.

I cannot comment as to the Core2 Duo units. Since this speaker volume
problem is apparently broadly recognized in the original MacBook, I
would expect Apple to have done something about it. I do like my MacBook
very much -- it is a big step up from my 1.0 GHz 12"  iBook, in all
respects other than volume.

Good luck with your future MacBook.

Jack