[iBook] iBook to new home/17" MBP arriving

charlesp at ksu.edu charlesp at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 27 04:45:43 PST 2006

Quoting gooddog at interlync.com:

> Thank you, Howard. This sounds workable. I'll follow the leads as you
> say. I have the proper FireWire, so I'm half the way there equipment
> wise.
>
> I found some Apple paperwork just a while ago entitled "Transferring
> Information from Your Previous Computer", and they discuss something
> very similar that occurs while using the Setup Assistant.
>
> I appreciate your help.

Let me chime in and reinforce using the Migration Assistant. I have used
it on at least four occasions and have found it nearly flawless. Even
desktop pictures from your old machine to your new machine show up
where they were. The sensation of using your old setup on your new
computer is wonderful. Everything is in a familiar place, your folders
are all just like they were, most of the apps work with the same
preferences and everything. If you use Mail, all your mailboxes are
transferred with their contents. iTunes looks just like it did on the
old machine and on and on. I think it is one of the most unsung and
marvelous features of OSX.

When I say that it is nearly flawless, I've found that some apps want a
serial number (maybe one or two out of hundreds), and some things may
not show up, so make sure everything is running on the new machine
before wiping the old one.

It is, however, the easiest and best way to go from one machine to
another. I used it just last week to go from one partition on my G5 to
another and it worked wonderfully.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)