[iBook] Itunes 7

charlesp at ksu.edu charlesp at ksu.edu
Sat Sep 16 20:31:12 PDT 2006

Quoting James Paul Manley <jesus.is.healing.my.cancer at gmail.com>:

> Here is another school of thought I just received from the imac chat
> list:
>
> > I'm guessing that one is for the singer or musician and the other
> > might be
> > for the person who did the artwork on the album cover (are they
> > still called
> > album covers?). For those of us who remember vinyl records, maybe
> > the album
> > artwork was more important back then. At least it was larger than
> > what you
> > get on the liner in a cd case. Lorin

I don't think so, as most of the artists who do the album cover are
anonymous. There may be a credit somewhere on the cover itself, but not
usually.

Here's what came up automatically in a purchased track:
Name: Poinciana
Artist: Ahmad Jamal Trio
Album Artist: Ahmad Jamal
Album: Priceless Jazz Collection: Ahmad Jamal

There is a nuanced difference between the Artist and the Album Artist. I
would imagine that in most cases they are one and the same.

I just tested that theory by looking at several different tracks I
bought from the IMS and in almost every case the Artist and the Album
Artist were the same. Here's an exception:

Name: The Song of the High Seas
Artist: Robert Russell Bennett
Album Artist: Richard Rodgers & Robert Russell Bennett
Album: Victory at Sea
Composer: Richard Rodgers

In the one above, you can see that the composer was Richard Rodgers. On
the cover of the CD it says "Arranged and Conducted by Robert Russell
Bennett."

I'm guessing that these different fields could be used in iTunes to
refine a search.

I could be wrong.

Charles Pearce <charlesp at ksu.edu>