[iBook] USB powered external drives

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Sep 26 11:18:25 PDT 2006

FWIW:
Could you use a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter, then using any
3.5" source to attach to the adapter, eg a desktop/tower
computer with an empty bay, or an external 3.5" drive
housing?  This would let you work with the 2.5" drive,
though not have it in an easily portable case which is
designed for 2.5".

Some which a quick search found (I've not tried any):
www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail-dpno=460984.asp
www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=776
www.tigerdirect.com.applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329310

A couple of reputable places to get enclosures for 2.5":
http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2515&CFID=4159050
(the dropdown list has an empty case for $69)
I have used one of these (bought non-empty) for a long time.

What looks like the same enclosure for $65:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MOTGFWU2/
(Instructions are linked at the page bottom.  Note that as
http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/Load_Page.cfm?page=FAQ/manuals/otg/pcb.html
points out, once a drive is put in the first kind it may be very
difficult to remove the drive, since the drive holder slides
into tight silicone rubber shock damper side rails)

The OWC full choice list for that enclosure:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

OWC sells two other empty enclosures, with (apparently)
different chipsets (I've seen discussions about good versus
bad chipsets, but can't say much about the issue):
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME25AUFW/
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/MacAlly/PHR250CC/
OWC's full enclosure kit list:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/add-ons-and-hubs/enclosure-kits