[iBook] Drawing package suitable for Apple computers

Alexandre Leroux alexandreleroux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 04:44:38 PDT 2007

Hi Sean,

There's a lot of mature open source options (which may or may not suit your
needs):
- The Gimp: http://www.gimp.org - I use it almost everyday. Yes it's
different from Photoshop (e.g. different menus and windows layout) but once
you 'know where things are', it's as useful/usable as Photoshop. (well, of
course, Photoshop has some more advanced features and integrates with the CS
suite, but you can't beat the Gimp's price ;-)
- Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/ - This is an Adobe Illustrator open source
copy. Works very well (though I haven't done that much work with it).
- Scribus: http://www.scribus.net/ - that's if you're looking for an
InDesign type of software. This is for Page layouts.
- OpenOffice Draw: htttp://www.openoffice.org - Yes, Draw is good enough for
many needs! If you really want Aqua support, get Neooffice, otherwise, the
X11 versions of OpenOffice works flawlessly.

And while I'm at it, you might be interested in these too:
http://del.icio.us/Satri/macessential

Have fun,

Alex
http://slashgeo.org