[iBook] Fantasy Mac Buying

Geoffrey Loeffler geoffrey at alaska.net
Sat Aug 25 17:35:18 PDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 3:05 AM, Matt Hurst wrote:

> I'll be using it a lot, for work (I'm freelance so I can't *not*
> have a computer) but not making massive demands, on the whole –
> mostly WP, email, and web. I do a bit of photoshopping, video
> editing (Powerbook's extra outputs score well here), and DTP. I lug
> it around a lot so I don't want anything massive.
>
> So I thought I'd phone some friends. Go on, you know you love
> Fantasy Mac Buying.

If you think it's time for a new Book then it usually is, 400 to fix
800 to buy, no debate you buy new. Although, I might look at the
macpro, more money however the product is matured with this release
mid run and will last you a good 3 years maybe 5 stretching it. The
new release of OS X will unleash some of the power that has been held
back as it is written for the Intel chip in mind. For your book, I
might try some of the suggested tips to see if this fixes things in
your ibook, ram being the most finicky. The experts are not always as
thorough as they should be. Once you get to replacing 2 year old
logic boards, those are boards out of old machines that have been
rebuilt, they do not keep making new logic boards for "old" machines,
although sometimes you can swap a newer one in but then your getting
into FrankenMac.

Again "I'll be using it a lot, for work (I'm freelance so I can't
*not* have a computer) but not making massive demands, on the whole –
mostly WP, email, and web. I do a bit of photoshopping, video editing "
That's your answer, now that we have these speed demons of power, the
software and the internet will be making huge demands on video ram
and processor power, so rather then try to stretch things tighter, go
for the biggest and best you can afford, you will need it and in the
long run, it will last you longer. If in the budget I  would keep the
iBook, get it to where it runs, a good back up, if the budget says
sell, sometimes parting it out can get you more money then

Geoffrey Loeffler
geoffrey at alaska.net

The man who is not troubled by pain and pleasure,  who remains the
same, he is wise and makes himself fit for eternal life.

---BHAGAVAD GITA