[iBook] Buying Panther install CDs

Fred Stevens K2FRD k2frd at mac.com
Thu Jan 4 11:56:28 PST 2007

I just upgraded a friend's blueberry clamshell iBook G3 300 with 150mb memory to Panther 10.3.9 without having to add additional firmware. The Apple site did not indicate any firmware updates were needed for the clamshell although such updates were needed for some G4s. Other than the storage problem inherent with such a small hard drive (a custom install was needed, especially not installation of all those printer drivers; forget OS 9 as an additional OS), Panther works very well on her clamshell. Further, Panther needs about 3 gb for the installation process, so storage will be tight at the beginning.

I suspect Panther install CDs can be purchased off eBay and upgrades are available from the Apple download site http://search.info.apple.com/?search=Go&lr=lang_en&kword=&type=kbdload&newstype=&q=10.3 , but as far as I know, there is no download site for the basic installation package.

Fred

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html