[iBook] Disabling ALL Keyboard Commands: Anti-Kitten Techniques

Linda van Thiel lvt at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 12:27:55 PST 2007

Fred:

Do a search for Keyboard Cleaner - a while back it was a Mac Gems
from macworld.com (written by Dutch programmer Jan Prima).  This is a
freeware program that disables all keyboard commands except command-
quit (used to exit the program, duh).  I have not tried it myself,
but read some good comments about it.  One reply said "why not just
disconnect your keyboard" to which someone further replied " every
try that on a laptop?"

Linda
SE MI

I have a new kitten which loves walking, running, romping, and
otherwise crossing my iBook's keyboard while I'm using it. She has
found new keystroke commands that I had never dreamed existed nor
were possible. I can't state what keys she pressed since her speed
across the keyboard approaches Warp 9, but the effects are such
things as causing an application's window to jump up and down, change
applications, move a window left, right, or down, and a lot more,
none of which I knew was possible with keystroke commands. None of
these are direct functions of the keys' surface purposes, i.e.,
alphabet, numbers, characters, screen brightness, sound levels, etc.
I have long since disabled all keystroke commands and Function keys
in System Preferences. I couldn't find any preference to change in
the Finder Preferences and I tried Onyx to see if there is something
I'm missing. Nothing. Yet, this little furry monster (her name is
Earthquake for obvious reasons, age 3 months) manages to change my
whole screen performance by dashing over the keyboard. (She's also
learned it's fun to pry up the keys with her little claws, but that's
another problem.)

Any ideas or suggestions short of completely severing the keyboard
power strip or caging what is probably the cutest kitten since they
invented kittens?

Fred

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS