[iBook] dual USB iBook wireless upgrade

Kathi Anderson kathialexis at cox.net
Mon Jul 30 21:14:07 PDT 2007

Snip
> 1.	Where do I go about purchasing an Airport card for my iBook.
> 2.	Will the Airport card work with a Netgear WNR834B RangeMax Next
> Wireless N Router.

Only the original Airport card will work with that vintage iBook and
Apple no longer sells them. You may be able to pick one up on eBay or
at computer flea markets. If you do find one, it uses 802.11a (or
802.11b, if forget), which is a pretty slow speed. I think it may slow
down your whole network to its speed (someone on this list may know for
sure).

Instead of an Airport card, maybe you can find a USB wireless adapter
that will work on your iBook. If you get an 802.11g, that will be
slower than 802.11N, but not as slow as 802.11a or b. I don't know if a
USB adapter is available for 802.11n yet or not.

Snip

I have already ordered an original Airport card from ebay. I hadn't heard
about the slow speed of the 802.11b slowing down the network for everything
else. It is not as if it was daisy chained or anything. I will let everyone
know when I get it set up.

Kathi