Wireless Re: [iBook] "New" ibook, new to list

Eric Hall jester_123 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 11 18:48:36 PST 2007

I ended up with the "Addlogix Wireless-G USB  Network Adapter". It comes with a little utility to scan and connect to a wireless network.  The G3 iBook recognizes  it as en1, or the second Ethernet adapter. Walking out in my front yard I was able to connect to at least 2 unsecured  wireless networks. As this was a test only, I just basically connected and saw if I could bring up a web page, then disconnected. I have no desire to steal others bandwidth, but wanted to see if the little thing worked.

It seems to prefer vertical polarization, that is, with a short USB cable and the dongle held vertically. I certainly can see why an Airport Card might be better, but this thingie is cheap, (in more ways then one!) and I can report that it works. The documentation that came with it is not great, however.

Eric

Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd at mac.com> wrote: Hi Eric--

Good luck with the dongle device and please let us know how it works for you. I've had to use dongle-type adaptors (albeit not for wi-fi) on my old PowerBook 1400 and Dell (yuk! ptooey!) Latitude laptop (ham radio digital commo only), found them to be a PITA.

Actually, installing an AirPort card is pretty simple. The two tabs at the top of the keyboard (next to Escape and Eject/F12 keys) pull down and the keyboard lifts out. The AirPort card slot is right there. There's an itty bitty wire with an itty bitty plug which is the antenna coax which plugs into the AirPort card. It may need to be accessed anyway if the dongle wireless system doesn't have its own antenna.

Cool on the ham license. Macs have a higher representation among hams due to Mac's superior technology which hams recognize - some 17% according to trackers on ham sites. Do you have plans to upgrade to General?

73 de Fred K2FRD

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: