Do we refuse to answer a badly written subject line? was Re: [iBook] Can anyone help?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Thu May 24 09:55:46 PDT 2007

This is not a matte of 'refusing to answer' but rather not bothering
to read every post but instead only taking the time to read those
posts that might be interesting or relative to someone's interest or
knowledge.

The Internet is easily a source of information overload. We don't
have the time or interest to read everything that is available to be
read. If something catches our eye as interesting, or about something
we already know something about, we are more likely to take the time
to read it. A post titled 'Can someone help' is only going to attract
those knights in shining white armor wanting to be there for everyone
else in need but probably lacking in expertise as to the particular
problem at hand. If the subject were instead 'I can't get my mail
from my ISP', this might well attract the attention of someone who
has recently gone through the issue and solved the problem as well as
being willing to share their pain and joy at the answer. It might
also be noted by the local mail expert.

It is always the original posters choice as to how to title the
subject. Post something specific, or cry for help. I know which one
is more productive. Do you?

--

Robert Ameeti

A thing not worth doing isn't worth doing well.