[iBook] Keyboard problem, was Re:Google Problem - Slightly OT

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Fri Feb 12 00:52:48 PST 2010

On 2/11/10 8:36 PM, Skygram wrote:

> My suggestion would be to set up another "account" on your Mac as if you
> were setting it up for a new user. I would then reinstall all the software
> that are causing you problems to see if they connect properly to your
> satellite hook-up.

That is always a good technique.  It's what could be referred to as
"chopping the problem in half".  In one step you eliminate all user
settings and anything else in the user account.  It lets you quickly
isolate things.  The step after that is to find the midpoint of the
problem that remains and test on half or the other of it.

> I recently had problems with my keyboard. The numeric side had stopped
> working. I set up another account and now it all works perfectly in that
> account. However I still haven't figured out what is wrong with the other
> account, but it saved me buying a new keyboard. Now I have to get my brain
> working to repair the KB issue on my home base account.

You can either try moving all your stuff from the old account into this
new one, piece by piece or try disabling files in the old account.  Most
likely the offending file is in
/Users/your-username/Library/Preferences.  Make a folder in the above
Library folder, call it "Disabled Stuff" then move the Preferences
folder into it, log out, log back in and test the keyboard.  If the
keyboard works, put things back the way they were, move the "Disabled
Stuff" folder inside the Preferences folder then move the first half of
the files into it and repeat the above testing process.  You keep
repeating this moving files in and out until you narrow it down to one
file.  You can also use the Finder's label feature (different colors) to
flag which ones need testing, are being tested and have been tested.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA