[iBook] OS for g3 and g4 ibooks?

Nathan Templeton pb280c at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 21:23:37 PDT 2012

On 3/21/12 6:26 PM, Clark Martin wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2012, at 1:47 PM, park wrote:
>
>> On lowendmac, the recommended OSX for the g3 snowbook is 10.3.9, for
>> the (800mhz) g4 10.4.11.
>>
>> Is that the feeling and recommendation on this board too?
>>

> I think if you asked on LEM, Tiger would be recommended for both.  I
> has been in the past.
>
> Tiger is usually recommended over Panther on any machine that can take
> it and that includes machines it's not officially supported on (ones
> without Firewire).

Agreed across the board with all the recommendations here. I have
personally owned 3 iBooks from the 700 up to the 900. I started out with
384mgs of ram and Jaguar on my 700. That really did not last all that
long even years ago when it was my upgrade from my trust Wally. Needless
to say on each and every iBook, I maxed ram as soon as I could. Put in
the fastest hard drive I could afford and was quite content with !0.4.11
on them.

Great little laptops all things considered, however I think they had
easily the WORST keyboards on any mac laptop aside from my PB230 and 280
which were absolutely abysmal. I digress.

10.4.11 really finds it's own on the G3/G4 iBooks. It flies along for
the most part, meeting pretty much anything you can throw at it.

My G3/900 finally decided to pooch its video chip, so the update for me
is a PB Alum 1.5 which currently runs 10.4.11 amazingly well. (Typing
this reply on it in fact.) However, I am really considering installing
Leopard on it after I can upgrade to 2 gigs of ram and of course a
faster hd.

YMMV,

~Nathan