[iMac] Artifact of using a system cloned from a TiBook

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 29 10:39:10 PST 2004

At 09:37 -0600 29/12/04, Bill Planey wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just wiped the drive on my new bluetooth-enabled iMac G5 and set up my
>laptop in Firewire Target Disk mode, and, having booted from another
>external firewire drive with a suite of utilities on it, I used Carbon Copy
>Cloner to clone my TiBook's HD into the iMac.  As some OS installations are
>sure to leave out things on the laptop, I ran the combo updater for 10.3.7
>again on the iMac (even though the OS was already 10.3.7) along with the
>Bluetooth 1.2 FW update - and as I expected, the bluetooth functionality was
>brought back.
>
>What won't go away, despite my having trashed a number of suspect .plist
>files, is the display to the left of the system clock that shows current
>battery status - obviously not applicable on an iMac.  The first menu item
>is grayed and says "no batteries available", but I want to be rid of the
>icon altogether.  Obviously this is an artifact of the system having been
>installed initially on a laptop.  I am having no problems with the computer,
>BTW.
>
>Anyone know how I can remove the battery icon?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill Planey

Bill,

Any particular reason why you didn't use the built in transfer
facility now available as part of the setup assistant?

Just join the PB in target disc mode and the utility will copy over
the items you need without writing over the top of the iMac's
software.
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:

Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

ON REVISIONIST HISTORY
What was sliced bread the greatest thing since?