[iMac] All-in-One Disadvantages?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Fri Sep 15 04:56:02 PDT 2006

How much of a concern is it for folks if one the new flat screen
iMacs, if one component dies, you are dead in the water? Let's say
one buys the new 24" iMac. 3 years down the road, lets say after
AppleCare expires, the logic board dies. That 24" screen is awful
nice (and expensive) to just throw away. One should have a choice to
either replace the logic board and/or use that 24" screen as an
external screen on another computer. Is there a way to do that now?

As a small newspaper publishing company, budget is important and it
is nice to get every dollar of worth out of computer technology as
possible. The Mac mini is OK as a basic workstation, but video can be
sluggish if too much is going on at the same time (even with memory
maxed), which I attribute to the integrated graphics shared memory
setup.

Its kind of hard to ignore the horsepower of the newly released
iMacs, and it is nice that an extra screen in extended desktop mode
can be added. I hear shouts for a "headless" iMac that lets you
choose your own monitors (of course, if its headless, it really
wouldn't be an iMac anymore). Maybe if the Mac mini had performance
specs closer to the iMac, maybe it could fill that void for folks
that want the horsepower of an iMac, but the ability to choose your
own screen. I've looked at the specs on the MacPro, and it is
overkill in performance and price for our needs. It wouldn't make a
significant increase in productivity for the price. Of the 6 or so
production apps we use, only a couple are Universal.

Joe