[iMac] cannot boot new 500 GB SATA II HD installed into G5 20" iMac

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Jan 26 05:20:15 PST 2007

You are correct that a G5 cannot boot from an external USB enclosure, though an Intel Mac can, as long as the hard drive in it is properly formatted--which is another story.  However, I used the external enclosure only for cloning the drive, and then I installed it into the G5 iMac (this was one that users can open up, not the daylight sensing model which I believe is sealed to the explorations of mere mortals).  So, my guess is that somehow cloning it in the external USB enclosure prior to installing it into the iMac itself left something wanting.  I will have to wait until the new Firewire SATA enclosure that I ordered from cooldrives.com (these babies cost $107 each!) arrive and then re-clone to test.

Thanks for the replies,

--Steve