[iMac] Newbie with viewing distance question

paulfrye paulfrye at mac.com
Fri Nov 30 00:05:29 PST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007, at 9:57 PM, M.Milligan wrote:

> Hello all. I'm new to this list. I've used Mac notebooks for many
> years now. Soon we're buying an iMac.
>
> Our concern is the viewing distance required for the 20" & 24"
> screens. Is there a minimum viewing distance one should be from the
> screen?
>
> I want to use the iMac for home computing, web browsing & email and
> also for Photo Shop work on my digpix.
>
> Should I max out the ram to 4GB? Is a 20" 2.4GHz clock speed
> suitable for digital photo correction and related work, or is there
> that much of a difference with the 2.8GHz?
>
> Any help is greatfully accepted. I thank you all in advance. Cheers.
>
> Murray

Hi Murray,

We have an older iMac G5, but I also own the MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz and I
do quite a bit of photo work with it.  The MacBook Pro 2.4 and the
iMac 2.4 are essentially the same machine.

As for your questions, There is no issue being close to the screen.
LCDs are not like CRTs and won't irradiate you.  They use a thin film
LCD screen that is backlit by lights, so whatever distance you want to
be is fine.

There is a significant difference in quality between the 20" and the
24".  This is a well known issue.  Apple really cut costs on the 20"
screen.  For most folks it's fine, but to do photo editing, I would
strongly suggest the 24" screen.

As for the speed, it really depends on what type of files you are
editing.  If you are doing large NEF files, then I certainly would
suggest going with the 2.8GHz.  The faster the better.  If you are
doing family photos with JPEG, then the 2.4 GHz should be adequate for
most of your work.

Photoshop is a memory hog so I would certainly suggest all the HP you
could get.  By all means, max out your memory to 4GB.  You can buy
memory at a 3rd party location that is much less expensive than the
memory that Apple sells and it is very easy to install in the iMac.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul