[iMac] QUES: new subscriber concern - is this listserv REAL

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Feb 1 18:47:41 PST 2013

OK, so a real news item, sort'a.

In December, 2011, I bought my wife a 27" iMac for Xmas, and brought the RAM up to 12GB.  I was using a 24" 2007 iMac which worked fine for me, but with only 8GB, of which only 6GB was recognized, I kept getting spinning balls, and it was infinitely frustrating for me.  So, I was waiting to see Cupertino's next iMac act.  Well, I was very disappointed with the newest iMac specs.  I don't care how thin the edges are; after all, I look at it head-on.  But they lack optical drives, and, I am told that the glass front is glued on, making self repair almost impossible (the glass on the mid-2011 iMac can be lifted off with section cups, easily ordered from Macfixit).

So, I bought a refurb mid-2011 iMac for myself, and I bought 32GB of RAM for it from Data Memory Systems for less than $80, and now I hardly ever get a spinning ball.  Replacing RAM SO-DIMMs is easy except that the screws in the cover panel are turned in so tightly that it is a challenge to loosen them.  Finally, I had to use a small flat blade screwdriver to do the job, because my Phillips bits almost stripped the screw heads.  Same thing happened with the iMac that I bought for my wife.

Oh, I bought AppleCare, too, but not from Apple.  Places like LAComputer Company, Expercom, and B&H Photo sell AppleCare at significant discounts.  eBay sellers also discount AppleCare, but there are rumors that some sellers, especially some who send only an email with the serial number, cheat you by returning the box to Apple for a refund, which leaves you, the supposed buyer, high and dry with a plan that Apple will not honor.  I used to buy AC on eBay, but with those rumors, I didn't wish to take chances.  A shame, really, because I'd bet that most eBay sellers are honest.

Hope this helps,

--Steve (via iPad 3)