[iTunes] Re: Best way to re-capture into AAC?

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Mon Apr 28 19:05:39 PDT 2003

My GUESS is probably. I plan to go back to all the source CDs and
re-encode AAC. But from AAC to MP3 should be ok since that's what
Apple's counting on working. Anybody know? I'm working on several
re-encodes like this now to test how it sounds.

AAC from the source CD at 128kbps sounds great.
96kbps MP3 encoded from the AAC files sounds almost the same.
192 kbps MP3 from the source CD sounds the same.

I honestly can't tell the difference among all three of these
encodings. Anybody else doing these kinds of test today?

Bear in mind I am listening through a 125 watt per channel amp on large
3 way speakers flanking my monitor and a 15 inch 400 watt powered
subwoofer on the floor. So I am comparing these files with a maximum
fidelity capable rig.