[iTunes] Re: MP3 vs AAC

MacMIDI at aol.com MacMIDI at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 14:49:59 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/29/03 5:28:24 PM, creinhart at creativebubble.com writes:

<< > Hi guys,

> If the iPod will play either format, why do so many of you ask
> questions
> about converting from MP3 to AAC. It has to be lossy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Professor John Amaral

AAC is suppose to be a better compression format
Better quality smaller file sizes
Thats the report, I haven't tested it yet

It doesn't matter how good it is; if you convert from MP3 with a lossy
protocol (AAC), the result will sound worse than the MP3 source. To get a
better sound, you would have to go back to the original encoding (AIFF) on
the CD. Is it really worth it? Doesn't the new iPod continue to play MP3's?

This is an important issue; I think. Do you want to convert your whole MP3
collection to AAC, if it degrades the sound? Do you perhaps want to keep all
your MP3s intact while you also convert everything to AAC? That would double
your backup memory requirement.

Professor Amaral