AAC conversion

Les Posen lesposen at mac.com
Tue Apr 29 18:10:02 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 10:41  AM, iTunesList wrote:

> It doesn't matter how good it is; if you convert from MP3 with a lossy
> protocol (AAC), the result will sound worse than the MP3 source. To
> get a
> better sound, you would have to go back to the original encoding
> (AIFF) on
> the CD. Is it really worth it? Doesn't the new iPod continue to play
> MP3's?
>
> This is an important issue; I think. Do you want to convert your whole
> MP3
> collection to AAC, if it degrades the sound? Do you perhaps want to
> keep all
> your MP3s intact while you also convert everything to AAC? That would
> double
> your backup memory requirement.
>
> Professor Amaral

Moreover, swapping mp3 files with friends is one thing; AAC swapping
will only work if those same friends have the option to both read and
convert those files back to mp3 for further loss....

Is this correct?

Les

Les Posen/MEL					      Webmaster
Lposen (AIM/iChat)				Australian Psychological Society
P.O. Box 1229 						  (Victorian Branch)
St.Kilda South					       Virtual Reality Therapy
Australia 3182	  http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iMovieTheater1.html