[iTunes] Re: MP3 vs AAC

Jeremy Kezer itunes at kezer.net
Wed Apr 30 04:39:36 PDT 2003

>As I understand it, both compressions are about 10:1.

I don't know, but if you compress them at the same bit rate, the
files are roughly equivalent in size.  The advantage to AAC is that
you can achieve similar quality with a lower bit rate.  I compared
several songs ripped at 192kbps MP3 with songs ripped at 128kbps AAC
and could discern no difference.  What I've chose to do is to start
re-ripping favorite CD's at 160kbps AAC which will supposedly give me
better quality than my 192kbps MP3's.  For some comparison:

Fat Chance - Biscuit Boy

192kbps MP3 - 71.0MB
160kbps AAC - 53.4MB

So, about a 30% savings that achieves higher quality.

Jeremy