[iTunes] Re: Best way to re-capture into AAC?

Michel Coste mic at micmac.com
Wed Apr 30 08:12:49 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003, at 12:17 Europe/Paris, Eric Irwin wrote:

> Apple thought of this!  When you insert the CD and tell it to import,
> a dialog box will come up and ask if you want to replace the existing
> files (that is if you have imported that CD to MP3 before).  If you
> tell it to replace the existing files, it will keep all the
> information from the MP3 file (date added, play count, play lists,
> rating, comments, maybe even more).
>
> So, feel free to re-rip your CDs to AAC without having any work to
> rebuild playlists or tags.

I've tried it: it works perfectly!
It's grandiose!!!!! Bravo for Apple. They get it right!
I've been scared by this question since august!

> The big question is, do the files you rip to AAC have the DRM in them?
> or is it just the files you get from the Apple music site that have
> the DRM?

NO! Apple has clearly specified that.

The big question for me is:
Should I stay with the same quality and win 33% space (192k VBR MP3 ->
128K AAC) OR improve quality (equal CD quality at 192K AAC) and  still
use the same space?

I will make some tests tonight...

> Eric

mc