New Consolidated iTunes Library

Eric Irwin ecirwin at mac.com
Thu Aug 7 17:41:26 PDT 2003

> Part I
> My G4 has iTunes stored on a storage partition (site A).....
> I've begun ripping new songs to a new location (site B) because storage
> space is limited......
> I've purchased a new external HD (site C) for all of the music,
> including the new material I am now burning straight to (site C).
> With all of the music now in one folder, can it all be imported without
> losing tag information?

You should be able to set you iTunes library to the new drive (site C)
[create a folder there for music].  Then under "Advanced" in the iTunes
menu bar click "Consolidate Library" and everything will be copied to
the new library location (site C).  Of course it is copied and not
moved so you will need to delete the files once you are sure all is
well with the new location.  All the tag info is stored in each song
file, so there should not be an issue with losing that info.

HTH,
Eric