Moving and combining music folders, libraries

ecirwin at mac.com ecirwin at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 15:30:43 PST 2003

>> The easy way to do this if I understand your question correctly is:
>>
>> Under the iTunes/Preferences/Advanced set the music folder to the one
>> you
>> want
>> Click Advanced/Consolidate Library
>> iTunes will copy all the songs from the one directory to the one you
>> just
>> set and then you can use the Finder to delete the folder or files
>> that were
>> copied.
>>
>> This method will leave all playlists and data intact.  Do not move
>> the files
>> in the Finder or you will lose all the stuff you have worked so hard
>> creating.
>
> What's the earliest version of iTunes in which you can do this? I ask
> because I'm running under MacOS 9.2.2 (I know, I know...). I lost some
> playlists in the process of trying to move/install my iTunes on a
> different drive, so this could be useful to me, depending on how
> version-specific this tip is.

Jim,

I am the poster of the tip, sorry I don't know how well or if this will
work with old versions of iTunes.  I know I have been doing and
recommending this method for quite some time.  I would think that if
the commands are there, they will work.  Maybe someone else on the list
knows better?

Eric