[iTunes] Re: Booting from iPod

William E. Lane williamlane at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 13:04:00 PDT 2003

On Sunday, July 13, 2003, at 02:01  PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

>> Is it possible to install and boot OS X off of iPod?
>>

>> Sam
>>
> No you can't boot from iPod.

I disagree

 From here

http://www.macworld.com/2002/05/secrets/mac911/

is this snippet

I Boot from iPod

I have read repeatedly about the possibility of putting a bootable
version of OS 9 or OS X (or even both) on an iPod. How do I do this
without damaging the music part of it? And how do I boot from an iPod?

-- Sebi Meyer, Macworld Forums

As we used to say in the funked-up seventies, "Ain't no thang." (For
those of you who aren't hep to this jive, it means "this isn't a big
deal.") Just attach the iPod to your FireWire Mac. If iTunes 2 doesn't
pop open on its own, launch it. In the iPod Preferences window, select
the Enable FireWire Disk Use option.

Now restart your Mac. Once your iPod has mounted, insert an OS
installation disc (either Mac OS 9.2 or OS X) and run the installer.
When the installer asks where you'd like to install the operating
system, navigate to the iPod and click on Continue to step through the
rest of the installation. When you want to boot from your iPod, plug it
into your Mac. Once it's mounted, select it as the start-up disk in OS
9's Startup Disk control panel or in OS X's Startup Disk system
preference. Restart your Mac to boot from the iPod.

It can be done.

__
William Lane
Calgary, Canada