iTunes Folder

The G greg at blink45.com
Wed Jul 30 09:30:16 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 07:18  PM, iTunesList wrote:
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 10:29:11 -0700
> Subject: [iTunes] Re: iTunes Folder
> From: Ron Skinner <rskinner at lvcm.com>
>
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 10:13  AM, The G wrote:
>>  But do you not then lose the ability to delete the song AND the file
>> from your hard drive when you delete it from the library? Not to
>> mention where would it 'copy' the new songs when you rip CDs...
>
> I do this all the time. All that is required is that you change you
> music folder designation which takes no more than half a minute. You
> can still access all your music across multiple folders or mounted
> volumes, but your rips and deletions are restricted to the designated
> music folder.

    Right, I know this. HOWEVER, I still have a few of issues with this.
    With iTunes 4, when you change the folder preference, it rescans the
entire library before letting you use it again. That may not be a
problem if you only have 20 gigs and 3,000 songs, but I have over 110
gigs and 19,000 songs. Then it takes about 5-6 minutes to rescan.
Highly annoying.
    And as you noted, when you change the folder, if you lose the
ability to be able to delete songs (in iTunes AND in the Finder)
easily. Again, for someone like me with a large library and changes
file around alot, HIGHLY annoying. Having to select "show song file"
and manually deleting each and every file is incredibly wasteful and
inefficient. And, again, annoying.  =;-)
    I actually have two large iTunes libraries (a general 'Rock' library
and a 'Film Score/Soundtrack' library, both around 100 gigs in size),
and even just switching between them is exasperating (which I have to,
since iTunes has an absolute limit on the number of song files it can
recognize). I view the above issues easily fixable and only a minor
feature set to add.

G (grateful for your response, Ron)