[iTunes] Itunes corrupting it's library

Andrew Elliston elists at elliston.net
Fri Jun 13 13:40:30 PDT 2003

Frank Flynn said:
> -Is there any way to recover a corrupt playlist?
>
> -Is there a way to prevent it in the first place?  I could make a back up of
> it every time I change my library (yuck) it' about 5Mb.

I also *just* had this happen this morning. It's probably the second time it has
happened to me since Apple released iTunes.

The answers are...yes and not that I know of.

This morning, after iTunes crashed and quit, it complained about the corrupted library
file when I launched it again. So I simply deleted the library file that was corrupted
(actually, I just put it in the trash but didn't delete it until I was sure I didn't
need it). I *left* the XML copy of the library file in place. Then, when I launched
iTunes, it recreated my library file along with all of my playlists. I don't know how
often iTunes updates the XML file, but I only lost 3 playlists I'd created in the last
12 or so hours.

As for preventing it - I think it's just a fact of life given the way Apple designed
iTunes. The playlists are not stored separately from the MP3 library, so when the file
goes, it takes everything down with it. To be on the safe side, you can export your
playlists (a hassle) and make backup copies of your library file (also a hassle).
Backing up the library file is a pain, but it's worth it. Mine is almost 19 MB, and to
recreate it I'd have to let iTunes import files for *hours*, since it slows down as the
library grows.

Hope this helps,
Andrew Elliston
macdigitalaudio.com