[iTunes] Re: MP3 vs AAC

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri May 2 11:36:05 PDT 2003

>> Professor Amaral wrote:

>> AAC is suppose to be a better compression format Better quality
>> smaller file sizes Thats the report, I haven't tested it yet.

I have and it is.

>> 		It doesn't matter how good it is; if you convert from MP3 with a
>> lossy protocol (AAC), the result will sound worse than the MP3 >> source.

Common sense would tell you that. But my ears/brain tell me otherwise.
AAC fils ripped from MP3 files SOUND BETTER TO ME. I can't explain it
and I don't want this to be true. But it is for me.

>> To get a better sound, you would have to go back to the original
>> encoding (AIFF) on
>> the CD. Is it really worth it?

Definitely worth it. Go Dolby. ! ! !

>> Doesn't the new iPod continue to play MP3's?

Yes it does. But they need to be bigger to sound almost as good as the
AAC files sound.

>> This is an important issue; I think. Do you want to convert your
>> whole MP3
>> collection to AAC, if it degrades the sound?

It doesn't degrade the sound at all. It enhances the sound. Don't ask
me how. I have no clue as to how or why. But it does.

>> Do you perhaps want to keep all your MP3s intact while you also
>> convert everything to AAC? That would double your backup memory
>> requirement.

Once the AAC files are ripped you can lose the MP3 files if you are
using only AAC iPods etc.
250GB HDs are down to $256 after rebate and sales tax in California. No
problem. Plus you just store all of this on CDs or DVD-ROMs. 42 CD-ROMs
or 7 DVD-ROMs = a 30GB iPod's worth of songs.

On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 07:36  AM, Timothy Pitts wrote:

> And thus my reason from starting from scratch. I will import all of my
> CD's
> again only at 128kbps (AAC) instead of 160kbps (MP3).

I'm wit you Timmy!!! Go Dolby !!!! AAC Rules!

I am totally blown away by the quality of my 128 AAC from 192 MP3
transcoded files. But source is source and CD AIFF Files MUST be the
preferred source for a permanent collection of 128 AAC files if you
still have the CDs to rip from.