[iTunes] Re: MP3 vs AAC

Brooks Graham brooksgraham at mac.com
Mon May 5 09:31:24 PDT 2003

True, there are attributes in AAC that allow for Digital Rights
Management (DRM), but AAC is an open standard, and that makes all the
difference if you compare it with formats like Microsoft's WMA.

What this means is that there can be (and already are) lots of
open-source AAC encoders and decoders.  It is up to the person writing
the code whether or not to utilize and enforce the DRM features
available in AAC.  Should Apple make the horrendous choice in the
future of abandoning their FairPlay approach and enforcing DRM *all the
time* in iTunes, then we have the choice of not using iTunes to do the
encoding - we can use something else.  However, I kinda doubt that
Apple will ever do that.

Contrast the above with Microsoft's technology.  WMA (and all the
WindowsMedia formats) are closed, proprietary formats.  While there are
3rd party programs that can decode and encode the WMA format, they can
only do that by using (calling) software (libraries) provided by
Microsoft in their OS.  At any time, Microsoft can clamp down WMA and
there is nothing anyone can do.

Kudos to Apple for choosing an open standard and not developing a
closed, proprietary, world-domination-focused format.

- -brooks

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 08:29 AM, Richard Nagle wrote:

> Well, that what they say now......
> AAC, is built with copy protection in mind. ( RIAA and friends )
>
> Cheer's
> Rick

- -
Brooks Graham