BEWARE: serious crash in iTunes 4!!!!!

Michel Coste mic at micmac.com
Wed May 7 21:39:02 PDT 2003

Well, taking advantage of the great opportunity to replace (not
convert!!!!) my 192k vbr mp3 to 128k aac (same quality to my ears for
the kind of music I consider) I had re-ripped already about 70 thirty
tracks CD's (that is reissue material) when a nasty crash occurred.

When I relaunched iTunes all the library info remaining was about the
remaining mp3 tunes!!!!!
ALL info concerning aac tunes had disappeared!!!!

That means I had to return to my last back up. Of course - stupid me -
since the iTunes 4 issue I hadn't made any backup.

So I had to restart iTunes with a library info containing ONLY mp3 info!
That means for me I have about 2000 tracks to edit one by one. (I
didn't find any other way and don't think there is...)

Poor me! And stupid not making any backup after each re-ripping
session. DON'T DO THE SAME!

Oh yes: you need to know what caused the crash of course.
I was in fact modifying an entry in the info panel when the crash
happened. This is maybe the cause.
I had to edit the info because some mp3 files where not replaced. This
happens when the basic 3 CD infos (Song Name; Artist; Album) has been
modified in the mp3 files. This is THE ONLY INFO iTunes takes into
consideration when replacing a mp3 file with a aac file (in that case)
when you re-rip CDs. The file name (happily enough) is not taken into
consideration.

mc