[iTunes] iPod Old or New?

Adam Bass abasscube at mac.com
Sat May 17 22:45:51 PDT 2003

On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 06:48  PM, Kunga wrote:

> For those of you who are switching to the new model iPod or are fist
> time adopters with the new model:
>
> I love my new "old" 20GB iPod. Tell me honestly, are there certain
> features of the new one that really won you over to the new model?
> I've put 10.2.6 and 9.2.2 on this 20 and it runs beautifully as a hard
> drive. What size new model did you buy? MacWarehouse.com is selling
> brand new 20's for $294.95 each.
>
> <http://www2.warehouse.com/
> product.asp?dept%5Fid=6307&cat=mac&pf%5Fid=ACC5888&blind=>

I actually really hated the new ones at first because of the
touch-sensitive buttons. After using it for a little while, though at
the Apple Store I actually started to get used to it. It does take some
getting used to, but it's not really any worse, although it does seem
like you could accidentally hit them a lot. I really don't like the
scrollpad, but they had those on the old 20 gigs as well, and the new
scrollpads are definitely better than the ones on the 2nd Gen iPods.
The wheel on the 1st gen 5 and 10 gigs was just completely perfect. I
also don't like that the middle button is touch sensitive on the new
ones; it just feels really strange.

The On-The-Go playlists and being able to rate songs on the new iPods
are awesome features, but it definitely doesn't make it worth replacing
your old 20 gig iPod. The only reason I could see for upgrading is if
people have a 5 or 10 gig and they disparately need the extra space.

> I'm trying to decide between another 20 or a new 10 for my DJ work. Is
> the brief pause still apparent between tracks in the new model? Or do
> you not listen to electronica compilations that are intended to be
> heard without pauses between tracks?

I assume it still has the pause because it still always has to access
the hard drive for a second to access the next song. I haven't actually
tested this though.

> I love the standard FW port on the "old" models. I don't like the
> proprietary slot connector on the BOTTOM of the new ones because it is
> inaccessible when the iPod is in its case. But the new slot connector
> may have hidden capabilities like audio IN that Apple isn't telling us
> about yet.

Well, new cases are definitely going to have to be made for the new
ones; remember, the buttons are in a completely different placement
too, so any iPod case that exposed the buttons and wheel is going to
have to be redone for the new ones. Apple is already using the new
connector for other stuff. Belkin makes a $59 battery pack that fits in
there that provides up to 12-15 hours on standard AA batteries, which
would be extremely useful.

The new iPods are definitely nice, but it's definitely not worth
replacing an old one with one of the new ones unless you really need
the space.

Adam