[iTunes] Re: New iPods Accessories

Ron Skinner rskinner at lvcm.com
Thu May 22 16:43:51 PDT 2003

The iPod with its 30mw/30mw output is actually capable of driving a number
of quality, low impedance, high sensitivity headphones without resorting to
a headphone amp. I use the Etymotic ER-4P, Audio Technica W2002, and Sony
CD3000 without an amp with excellent results. With an amp, the sky seems to
be the limit and there is literally no overkill. For example, I use the AKG
K1000, BeyerDynamic DT880 and Sennheiser HD600 and find nothing lacking in
the iPod's performance. With 160kbps AAC files, the sound is first rate and
rivals my fairly expensive main rig--which is saying something for a package
that fits in my shirt pocket.

I'm something of a headphone fanatic (can you tell?), but even a modest
headphone investment can seriously improve your enjoyment of your iPod. A
good starting point is the Koss KSC-35. Even very serious audiophiles
respect this little clip-on and it typically sells for about $30.

I hope I haven't strayed too far from the intent of the list. If so, let me
know and I'll try to better control my iPod enthusiasm in the future. :)

Ron