[iTunes] Speakers for desktop

Charles J. Thompson charlesjt at cox.net
Sat May 24 03:20:16 PDT 2003

At 7:40 AM +0100 5/24/03,  Andrew Nye wrote most helpfully:
>I'm very keen to get some new speakers for my desktop - the new
>Formac 19" Gallery lcd display deserves them!
>
>I was going for the iSticks and subwoofer, partly for the fact that
>they are USB and, I thought, cleaner sound and partly for the looks.
>But they get very mixed reviews.
>
>my questions: is USB better? How do people find the iSticks?
>
>Any other recommendations for speakers with good sound, reasonable
>looks and small footprint for satellites?
>
>Thanks
>
>Andrew

I don't know about USB, but I can highly recommend the top Monsoon
systems.  Great subwoofer and the planar speakers are highly
directional,  perfect for anyone seated in front of the computer (not
so good for filling a room with music).  Coupled with the WOWThing,
you will get excellent sound and a very wide sound stage, which is
great with music (and probably great with games, although I'm not a
"gamer").

I have an older 2-channel system; the newer models include 4-channel
systems, but I'm not sure what that feature offers to a Mac with
2-channel audio.

Cheers!
Charles
--