[iTunes] Re: Speakers for desktop

Ron Skinner rskinner at lvcm.com
Sat May 24 08:25:21 PDT 2003

On 5/24/03 3:20 AMCharles J. Thompson wrote:

> At 7:40 AM +0100 5/24/03,  Andrew Nye wrote most helpfully:
>> I'm very keen to get some new speakers for my desktop - the new
>> Formac 19" Gallery lcd display deserves them!
>>
>> I was going for the iSticks and subwoofer, partly for the fact that
>> they are USB and, I thought, cleaner sound and partly for the looks.
>> But they get very mixed reviews.
>>
>> my questions: is USB better? How do people find the iSticks?
>>
>> Any other recommendations for speakers with good sound, reasonable
>> looks and small footprint for satellites?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> I don't know about USB, but I can highly recommend the top Monsoon
> systems.  Great subwoofer and the planar speakers are highly
> directional,  perfect for anyone seated in front of the computer (not
> so good for filling a room with music).  Coupled with the WOWThing,
> you will get excellent sound and a very wide sound stage, which is
> great with music (and probably great with games, although I'm not a
> "gamer").
>
> I have an older 2-channel system; the newer models include 4-channel
> systems, but I'm not sure what that feature offers to a Mac with
> 2-channel audio.
>
> Cheers!
> Charles

I strongly second Charles' recommendation for the Monsoon. I use the MM1000s
with a WOWThing, and the depth and breadth of the sound stage is amazing. It
really has to be heard to be believed. They have a very restrictive "sweet
spot," so, as Charles said, they aren't for filling a room with music. But
if you're sitting in the zone you will hear a stereo image most have never
heard before regardless of the price of their audio rigs.

http://www.monsoonpower.com

These are self powered so they can be driven from any source including an
iPod.

Ron