LAME for iTunes

Video International videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Fri May 30 10:31:21 PDT 2003

Just wanted to make sure you audiophiles out there are aware of the
LAME mp3 encoder plugin for iTunes.
<http://www.blacktree.com/scripts.html>
<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8837>

According to a few comparison sites, the overall sound quality of mp3s
encoded with LAME is
superior to AAC, though the encoding time is slower and you are still
stuck with larger files. It
was pretty unanimous that LAME is better than the Fraunhofer mp3 codec
that iTunes uses.

Ogg Vorbis still seems to be the winner in overall quality according to
some sites. But it's user
base is probably even smaller than AAC's. There are quite a few codecs
out there; even a couple
variations of AAC. It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on
top in the end.

Sorry - I don't have URLS for the sites (I visited them awhile back)
but Google should
come up with them for anyone interested.

Rick