[iTunes] Re: 4.0 Sharing

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri May 30 21:16:28 PDT 2003

To Share Or Not To Share, That Is The Question?

Since when is listening - not downloading - to someone else's songs
while visiting their list a violation of the right of any music owner
to share his/her music with others? Apple gave us this technology a
month ago and those of us who are fortunate enough to have a copy are
not likely to be doing any upgrades to 4.0.1 or anything higher anytime
soon - like NEVER.

I think that the sharing of playlists among friends can only enhance
the iTunes Store's attraction. We get to discover new songs we didn't
know existed and can understand them in more than a 30 second snippit
enough to want to buy them. I don't see the downside. It is unfortunate
that the recording industry is so unnecessarily paranoid about fair
use. Every time they get their brains in a twist, they shoot themselves
in the foot. Playlist Stream Sharing is a way to sell more songs, just
as is radio. Short sidedness is retroactive and retardes the
development of both internet and music media.

I only wish Steve had pitched the advantages of personal internet
stream sharing instead of caving into the myopic industry pressure
cookers who are clueless about what drives sales. It's not only word of
mouth and 30 second clips. It's a first listen to a complete song that
the listener wants enough to buy for repeat listens. Thanks for the
opportunity to share Apple. There are some of us who will keep 4.0 and
share the wealth - FOREVER.