iTunes / iPod stalls when updating

ecirwin at mac.com ecirwin at mac.com
Sat Oct 11 06:28:54 PDT 2003

Greg,

I had similar issues with both of my iPods (mine and wife's) when we
first got them (20GB 2nd Gen).  What I ended up doing was letting the
iPod install about 100 files and then canceling the update and then
repeat until the update was complete.  Very much a pain in the butt.

I did totally reformat my iPod the last time they did a software update
for it and it went through without a hitch.  I have about 10 GB of
music on there and it did it completely without any problems.  I am
pretty sure that was with iTunes 4.0 and iPod software 1.3.

You might want to start from scratch on the iPod with a complete
reformat.  Upgrading to iTunes 4 might help as well.  The firewire
connection problems may be affecting this too.  Sorry, I don't have any
suggestions for that problem other than a trip for repairs.  I know
your iMac is not under warranty, so that could cost you.  You might
just want to order a new part for it and install it, that would
probably be cheaper than diagnosing it.

Eric