[iTunes] Preserving ratings

Russ Harlan russh at mac.com
Sun Oct 19 14:58:45 PDT 2003

1) Quit iTunes.

2) Copy all the files from the original iTunes music folder (most
likely located in your ~/Music directory, unless you changed it.) You
don't have to capture the music files themselves, just the other files.
Also, copy the iTunes preference files from ~/Library/Preferences.
These are named something like "com.apple.itunes.plist." I think there
are two of them.

3) Launch iTunes. You'll see all your old playlists, ratings, etc. Go
to Preferences in iTunes, choose advanced, and make sure that your
iTunes library is pointing to the directory that now holds your music
files.

4) Go to the Advanced menu and choose "Consolidate Library." You're
done.

Hope that helps.

-Russ