[iTunes] Re: Sharing the itunes library on single mac

Frank Flynn frank at declan.com
Fri Oct 31 17:56:44 PST 2003

On 10/31/03 5:16 PM, "iTunesList" <iTunes at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:

> Seems to me that Brian's  issue isn't the sharing itself, it's keeping
> the Library updated on his spouse's account.
>
> The answer is: there is no answer yet. You spouse would just have to
> update her library in order to see the new music. (If someone has a
> better answer, please speak up.)

Yes, you can do this.

If you look in your /Users/<you>/Music/iTunes folder you see three things
(on a standard installed iTunes)

- iTunes 4 Music Library  <-- a file
- iTunes Music           <-- a folder
- iTunes Music Library.xml  <-- a file

Your problem is the two files are not being shared.  (As a side note you
should save a copy of the two files before you start this, I doubt you will
have any problems with the mp3's but if you corrupt these files you loose
all of your playlists).

Try this:

Move your Music folder into the /Users/Shared/ directory.  This is just for
clarity, really you could do this from your directory.

Set the permissions so that the group Staff has read and write access to
this folder and that you apply these permissions to all enclosed.

Now make an alias of /Users/Shared/Music/

Move this alias to your directory and rename it to "Music"

Do the same for your Wife and Kids directories; now everyone has a "Music"
folder that contains an iTunes folder.

Before you start iTunes I'd throw away the iTunes preferences from each
users Library/Preferences/ folder.

Now you should see all the changes - add a song or playlist as you and your
Wife should see it next time she logs in.  This works for me (we do the
exact same thing for just the same reasons) so if this doesn't work for you
let me know and we'll figure it out.

--
Frank Flynn
Poet, Artist & Mystic